Sunday, September 27, 2009

Post Siba Thoughts

These thoughts will be few since your girl is pretty much brain dead. My publisher sent 150 Advance Reader Copies of the book down to Greenville, SC for the Southern Independent Booksellers Association trade show and yours truly went down to try and stir up some interest. I spent two hours moving from one table to another at an industry lunch, waving a copy of my book in the air and trying to give them a five-minute summary of why they should stock the book in their stores and hand sell it to their loyal customers.

It was fun and informative. At the author lunch before I met a gaggle of other writers - always a treat - including the woman who wrote Wind Done Gone, the Gone With the Wind parody that stirred up so much controversy a few years back. Very nice woman, actually kind of low key - just further truth that even politically hot writers, those which seem to be courting trouble, are actually introverts and recluses at heart. Then into the luncheon where I went through my spiel over and over until they called time.

Of the 150 books we gave out all but 5. Hard to say if it helped. I'd like to think it did. But like so many of these things, it was largely a blur of new people with no real way to tell which of them will turn out to be helpful to my little baby career. But as a first publicity outing, I feel it was successful....and it's just a relief to have the first one over and done with. What is it Macy Gray said about cherries on Dancing With the Stars?

No comments:

Post a Comment