Monday, July 6, 2009

Why is plotting so darn hard?

As I mentioned in the last blog, I have started compiling notes for the book on ballroom dancing. And it has brought me right up against my worst dread.....(drum roll)......plotting.

Just the word sends a shudder down your spine, doesn't it?

I know it does mine.

Why is this so tricky? And why have I taken on not just another novel but one that has way more characters than I'm used too and thus way more character arcs.....and why have I chosen to toss the word "commercial" around in a cavalier manner, knowing full well that it implies "tightly plotted"?

There is a part of me that relishes the challenge of trying to simultanously advance multiple story lines and bring them all to fruition at the same point....there is another part of me that is terrified of the challenge.

When I get back from Arizona next week I'm going to start research in the form of interviewing. Maybe that will get me going on story and while I realize that story isn't the same thing as plot, they are closely related and maybe that will unfreeze me a bit. Wish me luck.

1 comment: