Sunday, July 26, 2009

Out back. down under, and other places

This has been a week of extreme ups and downs. My editor doesn't like the second book. I'm headed to the beach this afternoon to decamp at my mom's condo for a few days during which I can re-read the whole manuscript (funny how quickly you can forget what you've written) and think about what to do next. Rewrite or move on to book three? Hard to say. Not only do I not know what the future will bring but I really don't even understand what's going on in the present. All this is a down but a down that I somehow feel could work to my long term best interests if I can just figure out a way to remain calm.

And in the middle of this, Australian rights to the book have sold and they're publishing it very quickly - one day after it comes out in the US, in fact. So I have been in contact with my Aussie publisher an adorable man who sounds like an even more whisky-voiced Crocodile Dundee. He is funny and nice and interested in my opnions on publicity and marketing....in short, the whole experience with the Sydney people has been a great balm for my battered ego.

My joke is that I tell my friends I'll have to become an ex-pat - move to Sydney or Rotterdam or Milan or somewhere else where the book is coming out because artists are never valued in their country of birth. No man is a prophet to his own people and all that sort of rot. And I laugh because it is a joke of course but at the same time the foreign rights sales have been a large part of what has kept me somewhat optomisitc throughout this process. There are so many setbacks or moments without movement at all....you have to find your comfort where you can. And right now my comfort is halfway around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment