Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm gonna call it "serendipity"

Yesterday I heard that the workshop I was suppose to teach at Tinker Mountain was cancelled due to low enrollment. It wasn't a total surprise - Fred, my friend and the director - had been making noises about how hard it was to get students this year for some time and in fact the most recent issue of Poets and Writers talked about conferences and workshops being cancelled across the country. And then the same day I hear from UCROSS - the colony in Wyoming and the last of the four I applied to this year - that I didn't get in.

Not that any of this is particularly great news but it didn't throw me. In some ways it's easier to plan the summer now, knowing more about what is and isn't going to happen. And it occurred to me that I had scooped out this nice full week for Tinker Mountain and this might be the perfect slot of time to visit New York. I've needed to go for months - touch base with my agent David and my editor Karen about the novel and talk to Laura, my editor at Fodor's for the Disney book, as well as see my buddies Alison and Jason and Jan.

And the funny thing is I started calling and emailing everybody and it all fell together. Everyone's in town. Everyone can meet me. So I have a great trip to NYC planned, and also now a built in time clock, a date by which I need to have finished the present version and have it mailed to David and Karen. It's a lot to do in the next few weeks, but the bottom line is, I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment