Monday, May 25, 2009

The Chapter Cometh

Okay, now this is freaky but true. I was down at the beach over the weekend and while I sat under my beach umbrella looking out at the gorgeous ocean I was also performing three writerly tasks:

1. Proofreading the galleys for Love in Mid Air, which were mostly fine.

2. Rereading the second draft of the second book, which I plan to send to my agent and my editor sometime this week. A little traumatic because while there are certain parts of the book I really like there are some definite chunks missing, especially this one part about 2/3 of the way through where I know I've always needed a scene. Not just a scene. A strong scene showing a strong internal shift.

3. Reading this absolutely infuritating book that I found in the back bedroom of my mom's condo. It's about writing so I can only assume that I bought it at one point during the 34 years she has owned this condo and left it there but I don't recall ever reading this book. Of course, come to think of it, I might not recall reading this book since this is the kind of book that gives you a stroke. It's all about how it's easy to get an agent and a publisher and just so long as you take care of your work and create the best manuscript you can that it will certain find itself a home. So Pollyanna-ish, so unreal and unhelpful, that I can't believe a published writer would say this to hopefuls. A pox upon her!

Anyway, I get home yesterday afternoon with a buttload of work to do because this is a very full week and I'm still missing this scene. So as I'm drifting off to sleep last night I summon the ghost of my dead father and any other random general benevolent spirits from the other side and say "Send me the scene."

And I woke up with it. Pretty much the whole bloody thing. The only thing I didn't have was a good last line, but hell, the rest of it was exactly what I needed and it might be the strongest scene in the book. I scrambled out of bed and came straight to the computer at 6 this morning and began furiously typing notes...just a brain dump and then I stood up and went into the kitchen for a cup of coffee and then, for some reason, I said "Amen."

So I rushed back to the computer and wrote "For some reason I said 'Amen'" Which is the perfect last line for the scene.

I've got to start praying more often. And I am NOT kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment