Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I get by with a little help...

Just had a long conversation with my friend Dawn. I sent her a copy of the much-maligned second book, The Gods of Arizona. She read it and called me while in the car with her two young sons. Even under these conditions - rambunctious boys in the back seat periodically announcing that they needed to pee, Boston to NYC traffic, the manuscript not in front of her - she provided a cogent and comprehensive analysis of what I'll need to do to take the book to the next level.

One important thing is that she liked the book. My confidence is shaken and I need to hear that right now. But just as important, she saw where it needed to be strengthened and had some ideas on how I might accomplish that.

I feel renewed. Like a have a definite and doable plan for revision. Now I just have to figure out how I can get away for a few weeks and really devote myself to the task. Too late for fall writing colonies. An escape to my friend Laura's house perhaps? She has always made it available to me and it's quiet and beautiful there.

What would I do without my writing buddies? Would I even be able to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment