Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A little irony on a Tuesday morning

There has been a sudden flurry of activity about preparing publicity for the first book. The people at the publishing house have been talking to me about websites, email blasts, author photos, etc. (Even though the pub date has now been pushed back to March. Don't ask.)

The tasks at hand are to make a list of questions for reading groups (i.e., book clubs) and to do an "author interview" both of which will go on the website when the hardback debuts and which will be included in the paperback. I'm not having any trouble coming up with the questions for the book clubs but I'm having trouble thinking of how to interview myself. I'm glad they are letting me do it...and I appreciate that it's my background in journalism that's making them think I can easily do it, ergo the irony.

Turns out it's hard to interview yourself. Turns out that I'm a bit secretive.

Also turns out that the only questions I'm coming up with are questions I already know the answers to, i.e., it's tempting to torque this opportunity toward subjects that I want to talk about. To lob myself pitches I know I can hit out of the park.

I might be missing the chance to ask something fresher and more surprising.

So....do any of you have any ideas for author questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment