Friday, February 27, 2009

Six and a half weeks

To continue the story....

I emailed my agent and suggested that we show my editor the plot treatment and the 100 sample pages. I also told him that I was trying to get into writers colonies this summer and that if I did I should be able to finish the book within a matter of weeks.

He wrote back quickly, but he must have misunderstood my email because he said "Well, since you're within a few weeks of finishing it, we may as well wait until you have the whole thing."

I started to correct him. There's a big difference between being a few weeks away from finishing it right now and going to a colony next summer and then being a few weeks away from finishing it. But once again I did this thing I rarely do, but need to do more often. I paused. I let time pass.

And during that time I talked to my writing friends, a couple of whom are farther down the path of publication than I am and who pointed out a very real truth. If you show a half-finished manuscript to an editor she might like it, she might take it, she might give you money for it. And that's all great because it gives you a cash cushion during the time you finish the book and because it shows your editor is committed to your long term development as a novelist. But what isn't so great is the fact that if an editor buys a book based on a half-finished novel or plot treatment she's going to create in her own head a sense of how that book is going to be as a finished product. By selling a book to an editor based on an idea, a plot treatment or a half-finished work, you invite a sort of collaboration.

And from watching the careers of my more experienced friends I know that this sort of collaboration has its dark side. It can plunge you into a circle of hell known as collaborative rewrites. I sold the first book intact. It took a while to sell it, granted, but once I finally found an agent and an editor who liked it, I knew they liked it as it was and they made virtually no suggestions for changes. A couple of additional scenes and I was good to go. This spoiled me. I didn't have to go through the months or years of rewrites some authors experience, trying to incorporate the suggestions of the agent and then the editor.

I mulled. My agent was thinking - erroneously, but optomisitcally - that I could have a rough first manuscript to him within 6 or 7 weeks. Could I? Could I push through and finish the draft earlier than I planned? If so, perhaps he could sell it and and then I spend the time this summer polishing an existing manuscript. It was a tempting thought.

I wrote him back and told him I'd have the full thing to him by the middle of April.

Maybe nutty, I know. But as I said in the last email I sense a window of opportunity is open to me now and I want to at least try to poke the second book through it.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving that you are waiting before acting, it's my take away from the last few posts.
    When I was in Tucson meeting with Jonathan Ellerby he pointed out that emotions just want to be felt, they do not have to be acted on. This is what you're doing, feeling it, baby and then figuring out the next right action.
    Good luck and really strong decision to push to the end of book two.
    :)

    ReplyDelete